Tuesday 19 October 2010

AD105 Art and Design method1

Add Monsters vs. humans, role reversal arcade idea, for my first representation for a virtual reality poster.

Reality inside virtual reality as a retro 1980's gaming graphic style idea, for my second representation for a virtual poster.
In this project i enjoyed seeing my ideas being lifted from rough sketch in to final stage, like i am seeing them really coming to life from the development of my pages and i didnt know the outcome would be, this project made me really think of what is virtual reality, as it has done in my ideas which is reflected upon my research.
There are many ways of portraying virtual reality, i did rough sketch/writing down my idea then choosing the strongest two, using this i was able expand this in to two groups and create different ideas branching from this. 
As a result i found my gaming idea the strongest, so i choose my arcade idea which i had slightly changed when it went through the development process, to suit the idea trying to be conveyed, as the text did not match the title of the game (virtual reality) being too obvious for use.
I found this a bit tricky as it had to be more subtle, work with the screen text and be clever about it, so to resolve this, i needed to really think the idea and the fitting of the name with it in a brain storm, which as result made me think of the the arcade game 'space invaders' and the idea of the poster being role reversal in virtual reality, i named it 'human invasion', and the text on screen was changed to 'monsters are taking over human... 
monster population...11,523
human population.. 00001

with this you can see the monster playing the arcade game aswell, which visually supposts the representation of the idea with the text. 

I think as a result of really working on the development it has turned out, better than i had thought it would in my mind.

I also produced a second idea that i also decided to present as a second final piece.
the idea was basically my self and the reality world seen in the virtual world by creating the old retro gaming graphics that was seen in the 1980's with it mimicking mario for the sense of virtuality and the scenery would be of newcastle with the character being played as myself, so that this would give the sense of reality.

This was created in illustrator by using the square grid, and using the square in the shape tool and using four squares of the grid as one pixel and i would use this same size through out with block colours and no outline.
To help with the retro feel more, a black background was added and the text added had the font changed to fatal fury black, which i found on dafont.com and fit perfectly with the appearance and idea.
I did not know the square grid had existed in illustrator until this and i also was not sure how to go about creating this style in illustrator, so doing this idea was new to me and i have acquired knowledge and skills taken in the creation of this piece.

overall i think with the brief being such an easy subject, it was easy to research and as a result worked quite successfully Also with the subject matter, it was a brief that you could easily relate to with some basic knowlegde of it already before even starting the research which meant, it was a easy project with no aspect of it that i did not enjoy.

I think my time management went well, as i had kept on target and finished the day before the deadline resulting in hitting internal deadlines as a result.


SWOT
  • Strengths - What did I do well?: my illustration of the arcade and how it all pulled together with each part of the design is meaningful and well thought out.
  • i completed two final designs.
  • Weaknesses What do I need to improve? if i had done more development i could of attained a higher grade.
  • Opportunities What do I need to do to build on my strengths and weaknesses? keep an open mind to more than one choice of a final outcome design and do more development
  • Threat What could stop me achieving my goals? if i don't build on doing more work in to research and development 


SMART 


  •    Specific - Well defined:i want to achieve a merit
  • Measurable Know when it has been achieved:  do more development and research on the subject.
  •    Achievable  Are the goals achievable: yes if i keep working on my project.
  • Realistic - Within the availability of resources, knowledge and time:if i work on it as much as possible, producing more research and development than before, trying to push the limit and working my time management right.
  •  Time Based - Enough time to achieve the goal:hopeful at the end of the next project if not i will continue to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment